Friday, September 22, 2006

Update!

Charlie, Amelia, and Jesika during Charlie's and my trip down south...seemed like a classic peace corps photo with the train tracks and the mountains...

Also from the trip down south...atop the Mountain of Solomon...
An oldie, but a goodie...my first turkey slaughter, back during training...

Well it seems now that about one post a month is all I'm capable of. However, I will do my best to make those rare posts full of interesting facts and engaging pictures...Lets's begin.

First off I'd like to make a brief comment about the Resource Center. Nearly all purchases have been made, including both computers, scanner, printer, stereo, books, cassettes and English language CD-ROMS. The only thing that has not been purchased is the large white dry-erase board and markers, which I have plans to go to Bishkek this week with my counterpart and buy.

Late last month I attended the annual meeting of all Issik Ata region teachers and addressed the over 40 English teachers as a unit. I explained that at my school, Ak-Tilek, we had recently obtained funds to create an English resource center for students and teachers and that once we opened this center, we would hold an introductory seminar to explain its purpose and how to use the new equipment. The teachers were very responsive and eager for the seminar to take place.

The reason we have not yet opened the Center is because we have been waiting for a small sum of money from our local village government to install metal bars on the windows and door of the Center's classroom to protect against theft. I have been assured (as much as possible) by my director that this week these funds will be obtained and that our Center's classroom will be secured by the first week of October. After the bars are installed and the Center decorated, we will hold a seminar celebrated the Center's grand opening. I will be sure to take many pictures and tell you all about that exciting event.

Now for some pictures...

Well I thought I would be able to post more pictures straight to the blog, but couldn't get it to work...so I posted about 20 new photos (with captions!) to MyPhotoAlbum.com - click the PICTURES link to your right and choose the new album entitled, "Hodge Podge." This album includes pictures from a fellow volunteer's costume birthday party in Bishkek, my trip down south last summer, Tom Paine's visit from China, and the Gotwald's European Vacation.

Until next time,
Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home